Getting there

Getting there

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

We Interrupt This Blog - The Current Tunes Disc

Dear friends, it's been some time since I posted about what I am listening to. It's not that I'm not listening but rather that these posts are a bit labour-intensive in terms of finding the videos. I've discovered some wonderful stuff recently, though, and must share it.

First up is this amazing song from Crystal Castles, featuring Robert Smith. Remember him? You know, Robert Smith of The Cure? Yes, him! That distinctive voice still gives me the shivers - and this song is utterly stunning in it's beauty....oh, and did I mention they are from Toronto? That alone makes them worth a listen!

Crystal Castles featuring Robert Smith - "Not In Love"

Next up we have Young Galaxy, also a Canadian act originally formed in Vancouver. Once again stunningly beautiful songs. I could listen to these songs all day long - and I have.

Young Galaxy - "Cover Your Tracks"

Just discovered this one a couple of days ago, and now can't get it out of my head. Normally that would trouble me, but it's such an intensely good song that I'm quite okay with it.

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - "The Body"

I don't think I even have words for this artist or the music. Beautiful doesn't even begin to cut it as a description. I'm completely and madly in love with this stuff. It's just amazing.

Bon Iver - "Calgary"

I suppose what I find most intriguing is that much of this stuff sounds like it could have come out of the 1980's, but with a very modern twist. Musical styles cycle, and that electronic sound is in resurgence - but there is a modernity, simplicity, and fluidity to it that was lacking three decades ago. The way the music and the style has been refined has led to to some astounding achievements - and the above are the ones that have caught my ear. Perhaps they will do the same to you, dear friends. Happy listening!

A suggestion - a great way to find new music is through 
"Stereotype Helsinki". 
You can find them at that website as well as on Facebook and Twitter. 
They have been responsible for introducing me to much of the new (to me) music featured above.

No comments:

Post a Comment