Getting there

Getting there

Saturday, April 2, 2011

We Interrupt This Blog, The Hardcore Disc

Yet again I was shocked by the popularity of my recent blog entry on music I listen to (We Interrupt This Blog, Disc Two). For some reason these posts seem to strike a chord (bad joke, eh?) with my readers. So, I've decided to share more music, this time music I consider standard listening for myself, and bands I began listening to decades ago. I still listen to this stuff regularly, usually in my car at top volume (and peeps, my ride can play it loud).

 Before you go clicking on the videos below, though, I have some things to say. If you object to foul language or extremely questionable lyrics, don't click on them. If there are children in the room, don't click on them. If you are my sister, my aunt, my cousin, my second cousin, or, god forbid, my kid, DO NOT click on the damn videos, okay? You and I may have very different ideas of what is acceptable, and while I find this music amusing you may be wildly offended. Just to be clear I will not respond to phone messages that begin with "What the hell kind of person are you to listen to that stuff?". This is not the sort of music you are supposed to say "Well, wasn't that lovely!" after hearing, and if you do then you are, in fact, weirder than me. Right, now that we have that cleared up, let's move on, shall we?

First up is a pretty mild band, but definitely a standard. The Ramones were an American phenomenon, and frankly, they rocked. They had a fair degree of success but still had a very underground edge. What I find terribly sad is how many of them are dead. I try not to think about that, though, lest my own age occur to me and I find myself huddled in a corner sobbing. Here's one of my faves:

The Ramones - I Wanna Be Sedated


Now, these next guys are great. Funny as hell in my opinion, kind of campy, but in a good way. Not really punk, not really new wave, and not really sane.


The Damned - Love Song


It would also be insane not to include something from these guys. They really started it all, at least for me. Irreverent, intoxicated, irrational, and often incoherent, but not stupid. The lyrics are actually pretty decent if you listen close, and sometimes they can even play their instruments. Sometimes.

Sex Pistols - Pretty Vacant


Right about here is where the music gets a bit dodgy, so be warned. This is one of my favourite Canadian punk bands ever. Saw them live a couple of times, and they were brilliant. I'll never forget the time Mickey DeSadist came and sat down across from me before a gig, tried some really lame pick-up line, and then passed out into his top hat, causing his fellow band members to rush over and drag him off to revive him for the show. Good times! They have another song I love but it's about necrophilia which is really pushing the bounds of good taste(!), so I picked this one instead. This one is not for kids. Or my sisters or my aunt or...you get it already.

Forgotten Rebels - Surfin' On Heroin


Last up, likely the most offensive and to me the most entertaining. I never had many chores when I was a  teenager, but once my dad asked me to wash the family car. I thought this was unreasonable so pulled out my ghetto blaster (yes, that IS what we called them way back then, and no, they did NOT play cd's and yes, it's true, iPod was NOT even a word back then). Into the blaster I popped a tape with this song on it and played it very loudly for all the neighbours. Dad never asked me to wash the car again. Also saw these guys live and even partied with them. At one party they stole the case of beer my date and I brought. We didn't argue with them. They were kinda scary, really. I'm not sure any of you should click on this, but if you do, please don't call me. The complaint department closed. Yesterday. 

Dead Kennedys - Too Drunk to F***


So, there you have it, friends. My essential playlist, straight from the 80's and an era of unforgettable memories (well, aside from the ones I have forgotten because I was hammered at the time). Hope you enjoyed them, or at least didn't pass out from shock. And for those of you reaching for your phones to call me - forget it. I'm not home!

No comments:

Post a Comment