Getting there

Getting there

Saturday, April 9, 2011

We Interrupt This Blog, The 70's Band Disc

It always seems that on weekends my blogging turns to thoughts of music. For some reason this past week I have been on a seventies band/music kick, and I have no idea why. I woke up one morning with the insane need to listen to Heart's "Crazy On You", a song I'd never thought much about or realized I even liked. I suspect I heard it somewhere and it stuck in my head, and off I went.

So, in my typical slightly obsessive - oh, let's call it "passionate", I like that word better! - fashion I was off and running headlong into a week of seventies flashbacks (interesting because I don't even remember the seventies - I was alive then but apparently not really taking notice of much). So, here's what I've been spinning this week. My poor kid is likely bloody tired of it being played loudly at all hours. Sorry, cupcake, but you know your mom!

First up, the song that started it all this week. These ladies are actually pretty phenomenal. I had no idea I like them as much as I apparently do. I even put this on my iPod. Go figure.

Heart - Crazy On You

Next up is a band I've always known I liked, but haven't listened to much in recent years. Their musical craftsmanship is astounding in my opinion, though, and they have a certain intensity I adore. Besides, Lindsay Buckingham is kinda hot. Never knew I thought that, either!

Fleetwood Mac - Go Your Own Way






And now we come to a classic seventies band. My husband has always been a big fan of these guys, and for those laidback easy listening kind of days they are truly the best. Just kind of dreamy feeling, you know?

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Have You Ever Seen The Rain





For some reason I've always loved this song. It was on the "Forrest Gump" soundtrack but I'd heard it before that, of course. It's just always stuck in my head. I love the line "Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" - freaking brilliant. Pure poetry, and I've thought that exact some thing, too.

Bob Seger - Against the Wind

Finally, a Canadian band, and a true classic at that. Someone has pointed out to me that this song is from the 80's, but to me Geddy Lee and the boys will always scream "seventies". So, as per usual my feelings on this trump accuracy. Love the song, love the lyrics, almost always make me cry. Haven't you ever wanted to freeze a moment in time? I have. I still do.

Rush - Time Stand Still

Right, thought I was done but I'm going to include one more video just because I can, and because I really like this song. Heard a cover of it recently by some new young artist and while it was okay it doesn't hold a candle to the original...

Heart - Alone



And there you have it. That's been some of my playlist this past week. I must admit I do have an ulterior motive for posting these. I'm kind of hoping sharing them will get them the hell out of my head and into yours so I can move on to some new musical obsession (passion, dammit!). Like all good viruses it really just wants to spread, so if you find yourself humming one of these this weekend you can thank me. Or blame me, if you prefer - either way, I'm cool with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment